Ingredients from Salinity:
1-4 servings. Purchase Ingredients (5% off if purchased together):
- 1 dozen "Sea Spray" XS Pacific oysters from Swinomish Shellfish Co.
- Optional: a few TBSP Chicaoji Hot Sauce from Chicaoji
- Optional: 1/2 a wedge of Mild Cheddar Cheese from Samish Bay Cheese
- Optional: 1/4 loaf of Pain de Campagne Bread from Seabiscuit Bakery (Whidbey Island delivery only, sorry)
4-12 servings. Purchase Ingredients (5% off if purchased together):
- 4 dozen "Sea Spray" XS Pacific oysters from Swinomish Shellfish Co.
- Optional: ¼ cup Chicaoji Hot Sauce from Chicaoji
- Optional: 2 wedges of Mild Cheddar Cheese from Samish Bay Cheese
- Optional: 1 loaf of Pain de Campagne Bread from Seabiscuit Bakery (Whidbey Island delivery only, sorry)
Ingredients from elsewhere?
Whether you prefer them raw, fried, or baked, there are countless ways to prepare and enjoy oysters. One fairly simple way to elevate the flavor of baked oysters is by adding hot sauce and cheese, and eating it with toasted bread. In this blog post, we will explore the steps to create a mouthwatering dish that combines the briny goodness of oysters with the heat of hot sauce, the creaminess of cheese, and the crunch of bread to make a filling meal.
Step 1: Preparing the oysters
Start by shucking the "Sea Spray" Pacific oysters, being careful not to spill any of the precious liquor inside. Once the oysters are shucked, arrange them on a baking sheet or a heatproof dish suitable for the oven, toaster oven, or grill.
Step 2: Adding the hot sauce
Now it's time to add the Chicaoji Hot Sauce. Drizzle a small amount of hot sauce over each oyster, ensuring that it is evenly distributed. This sauce made with chipotle, cacao, goji, maple syrup, sea salt, and apple cider vinegar is flavorful and exciting without being overly spicy hot!
Step 3: Adding the cheese
Grate the Mild Cheddar Cheese and sprinkle over the oysters. The cheese will create a golden, bubbly crust when baked, melting beautifully and complementing the oysters' taste.
Step 5: Baking the oysters
Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C) and place the baking sheet or dish with the oysters inside. Bake for approximately 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Step 5: Toast the bread
While the oysters are finishing baking, toast your Pain de Campagne Bread slices until crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. Add optional butter to the slices. Put aside, warm if possible.
Step 6: Serving and enjoying
Once the oysters are baked to perfection, remove them from the oven and let them cool for a few minutes. Serve the hot and cheesy oysters on a platter with the slices of toast. The combination of the briny oysters, spicy hot sauce, creamy cheddar cheese, and crispy bread will tantalize your taste buds and leave you craving more.
Whether you're hosting a dinner party or simply treating yourself to a special meal, this dish is sure to impress. Enjoy!